Tuesday 18 March 2008

This afternoon's lunchtime walk took me to Albert Bridge. This is one of my favourite bridges across the Thames. There is a plaque on the bridge that suggests that it was opened in 1874:


However, all my research on the internet suggests the bridge was opened a year earlier. I wonder why there's a discrepancy?

The bridge was commissioned in 1842, and a design by Rowland M Ordish was started in 1864. Ordish also designed a similar bridge in Prague.

From the start, Albert Bridge has been underthreat. The sign at the ends of the bridge, has a warning that was placed to stop the bridge wobbling:


Today, there are speed and weight restrictions in place, but that isn't enough to stpp the biggest threat. Apparently dogs are urinating on the bridge's iron supports, which is causing the wood underneath to rot.

Pictures taken during the day do not do the bridge justice, so one clear evening, I will have to return with a tripod for my camera.

No comments: