Wednesday 5 March 2008

Chelsea Vs Olympiacos

This was the second leg of the last 16 round of the Champions League. Olympiakos are the Greek Champions, and a fortnight ago the teams met for the first leg in what was a freezing Athens. That game ended 0-0, and the Greek team didn't look like easy pushovers as everyone expected.

Due to UEFA needs, we couldn't sit in our usual seats. In the end, we had to make do with seats in the forth row, right by one of the corner flags. I was really excited about sitting so close to the action. I wanted to take a camera, and decided to take my point and shoot.

Being so close to the action, also meant that I was able to see what the professional photographers get up to. I have often thought being a sports photographer would be a dream job. When you look at the gear they have, I should imagine that it must be a fun job. I know, I was only armed with a point and shoot, but it was enough to realise that working a Chelsea game would be beyond me.......I get far too excited to capture a moment!!!


As for the game, the speed of the game appeared to be so much faster at ground level. You also got to see all the bumping and pushing that goes on.

Within five minutes, Chelsea were one up, thanks to a headed goal by Micheal Ballack from a Frank Lampard cross. Chelsea, started fast and furious, and the Greek team seemed unable to cope. The post was hit, an open goal was missed before Ballack hit a powerful shot that the goal keeper couldn't hold, and spilt to give Lampard an easy tap in to make it two nil at half time.

The second half started very much like the first half, and within five minutes we were rewarded with a corner right by us. We're not normally very good from corners, so it was a surprise to see the ball end up in the back of the net. From where I was sitting one of three Chelsea player's could have scored, and it was Solomon Kalou, who made it three nil.

This is how the game ended. It could have been a bigger score, but it was enough to see Chelsea into the quarter finals for the forth time in five years.

No comments: